WCLN LTI Plugin
This is a plugin that will be coming for the summer of 2018. We're just documenting as we go.
This block will allow LTI Lesson Books to show up in the courses without the "iFrame look" - ie. it will look a little more polished for students. The lessons will work without the plugin, but just won't look quite as nice.
screen shot without plugin installed
screen shot with plugin installed
Adding this Block to your Site
- Download the file and unzip.
- Put site into maintenance mode.
- Copy "bclnemail" folder to "/******/".
- Go to notifications and update.
- Turn off maintenance mode.
- If you want to add the Contact fields, go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Accounts > User profile fields
Adding the Block to a Course
- Within your course, click "Turn editing on"
- In the side panel, find "Add a Block"
- Add "bcln_progress_report"
- You should now see the block
Sending out Messages
Once you have the block:
- In your new block "Compose an email"
- Add students to receive emails.
- Fill in the fields:
- Subject = subject in email
- Message = the note at the top of the table
- Receive a copy? = if you want a copy (I don't bother, stored anyway)
- Make sure you "Include Progress Report" (default)
- Send Email
Including Parents &/or Counsellors
The bcln_progress_report block will send your message to the following email addresses for each student chosen:
- student email (of course)
- Contact1 (if an email is found here, it will be included)
- Contact2 (if an email is found here, it will be included)
- Contact3 (if an email is found here, it will be included)
Instructions for admins (and teachers*) to add email addresses to "Contacts":
- Within the course, click on Participants
- Click on the student's name.
- Under "User Details," click "Edit Profile"
- Under "Other Fields," enter email addresses into "Contact1,2,3"
*Administrators can adjust profiles (by Moodle default), but teacher can't. To allow teachers to add parent emails, a site admin needs to:
- In the user profile area, edit the teacher role to allow it to "edit user profiles"
- Under "assign system roles," assigned the teachers who you want to have this ability as a teacher through the system.