WIRIS Equation Editor
What is WIRIS?
WIRIS is a top-notch equation editor that WCLN has used to:
- build questions within math/science courses on the WCLN site. This requires WCLN to have a license for the main WCLN site, but your district doesn't need anything for this (see settings below).
- allow your students to "easily" show their work (calculations) online, rather then having them scan their work for any long answer questions. Showing Math/Science work can be challenging on a computer and WIRIS makes this easier for your students. If you wish to use this feature for your students, then your district needs a local WIRIS license (See http://www.wiris.com/en).
WCLN Member Licensing:
- 200 math students + 5 teachers: $ 200 USD
- 500 math students + 12 teachers: $ 468 USD
- 1,000 math students + 25 teachers: $ 800 USD
- 2,000 math students + 50 teachers: $ 1,410 USD
If the ratio teacher/student is higher than 1/40, the prices change. For example:
- 200 math students + 10 teachers: $ 400 USD
- 500 math students + 25 teachers: $ 800 USD
- 1,000 math students + 50 teachers: $ 1,410 USD
- 2,000 math students + 100 teachers: $ 2,530 USD
Also be aware that if you want a global license for MathType for MS Word & Google Docs in addition to their Moodle, they can get it with a small additional surcharge on these prices.
For the communications, please address your SDs to email@example.com .
WCLN Member Support Notes - Member Sites:
Of course, all members need Item #1 (ie. you need to be able to see all math/science database questions). To ensure this is good-to-go on your site:
If you have a local WIRIS license:
- You will be able to have students do long-answer work in WIRIS (easily showing equations for work)
- You can use the WIRIS filter to show your equations.
- In your filters, ensure WIRIS is first in the list (MathML can follow)
- If you need to change an equation, you can use the WIRIS editor or (Just copy MathML into HTML???).
If you don't have a local WIRIS license:
- Your students will not have access to the WIRIS editor to show long-answer work (Atto has a more simplified free editor)
- You will be using MathJax as your filter to show equations.
- Go to: Site administration > Plugins > Filters > and ensure MathJax is first in the list.
- at this point, Firefox will work fine.
To get other browsers working (eg. Chrome, IE), go to: Site administration > Plugins > Filters > MathJax > Additional equation delimiters, and add: <math
WCLN Member Support Notes - Development Site:
WCLN has a WIRIS license for the developers on the WCLN Moodle site. This license does NOT extend to WCLN member sites.
On the WCLN site, it is set-up so that any back-ups from this site have the equations converted into MathML so that users of our resources can see the equations whether they have a WIRIS license (or not).
Our general settings on the WCLN site:
2. Both TinyMCE and Atto editors ready.
With this set-up, all courses that are backed-up from the WCLN site have equations converted into MathML.