BCLN Progress Report (Moodle Block)
This block will allow teachers to bulk-send emails to all your students in a Moodle course with a your custom note on top, their student info, and a table of their grades (automatically pulled from the Moodle gradebook).
This makes for a good weekly update/reminder for DL/BL teachers.
If you send to the internal email, the student will also be emailed if their settings allow.
Sample (email contents)
Adding this Block to your Site
- Download the file and unzip.
- Put site into maintenance mode.
- Copy "bclnemail" folder to "/blocks/".
- Go to notifications and update.
- Turn off maintenance mode.
- If you want to add the Contact fields, go to Administration > Site administration > Users > Accounts > User profile fields
Adding the Block to a Course
- Within your course, click "Turn editing on"
- In the side panel, find "Add a Block"
- Add "bcln_progress_report"
- You should now see the block
Sending out Messages
Once you have the block:
- In your new block "Compose an email"
- Add students to receive emails.
- Fill in the fields:
- Subject = subject in email
- Message = the note at the top of the table
- Receive a copy? = if you want a copy (I don't bother, stored anyway)
- Make sure you "Include Progress Report" (default)
- Send Email
Including Parents &/or Counsellors
The bcln_progress_report block will send your message to the following email addresses for each student chosen:
- student email (of course)
- Contact1 (if an email is found here, it will be included)
- Contact2 (if an email is found here, it will be included)
- Contact3 (if an email is found here, it will be included)
Instructions for admins (and teachers*) to add email addresses to "Contacts":
- Within the course, click on Participants
- Click on the student's name.
- Under "User Details," click "Edit Profile"
- Under "Other Fields," enter email addresses into "Contact1,2,3"
*Administrators can adjust profiles (by Moodle default), but teacher can't. To allow teachers to add parent emails, a site admin needs to:
- In the user profile area, edit the teacher role to allow it to "edit user profiles"
- Under "assign system roles," assigned the teachers who you want to have this ability as a teacher through the system.